UNKNOWN FACTS ABOUT WHALE
Here are 10 Unknown Facts About Whale
- Whales are not fish, they are mammals that breathe air and nurse their young with milk.
- There are two main types of whales: baleen whales and toothed whales. Baleen whales have comb-like structures called baleen plates in their mouths that they use to filter small animals from the water. Toothed whales, on the other hand, have teeth and hunt for larger prey like squid and fish.
- The blue whale is the largest animal on Earth, growing up to 100 feet long and weighing up to 200 tons.
- Whales are highly social animals that communicate with each other through a variety of sounds, including songs, clicks, and whistles.
- A whale’s heart can weigh up to 1,000 pounds and is large enough for a human to swim through.
- Some whale species can live up to 100 years old.
- Whales are migratory animals and undertake some of the longest migrations of any animal on the planet.
For example, gray whales travel up to 12,000 miles each year from their summer feeding grounds in the Arctic to their winter breeding and calving grounds in the warm waters of Baja California.
- The humpback whale is known for its elaborate courtship songs, which can last up to 20 minutes and be heard for miles.
- Whales are important for marine ecosystems as they help to maintain a balance in the food chain by consuming large amounts of small animals and providing food for predators like sharks and killer whales.
- Whaling, or the hunting of whales for their meat, oil, and other products, has been a major industry for centuries and has led to the near-extinction of some whale species. Today, many countries have banned commercial whaling, but some populations are still under threat from illegal hunting and habitat loss.
So These Were The 10Unknown Facts About Whale.